Monday, November 15, 2010

Simplicity 2642: Flutter sleeve top






Pattern Description: Dresses. I made view B loose dolman sleeve bodice.

Pattern Sizing: 14-22, I made 14

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Sort of, but I made changes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. And it was a very easy pattern to sew.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the dolman sleeve and the fact that the empire waist sits lower than many patterns, low enough that I didn't have to do a lower bust adjustment. I did not like the gathered skirt, fearful of a maternity look, so I changed that.

Fabric Used: Poly knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

1. I lengthened the sleeve 2 inches than shaped them to be fluttery instead of boxy. I like where the sleeve hits my arm right above the elbow.

2. I shortened the dress to be a 27 inch tunic, a good length, I think (but I'm not sure about tunics yet???).

3. I eliminated the pockets on the skirt. Who wants pockets making more bumps on the front tummy?

4. For the skirt, the pattern uses 3 identical pattern pieces (called front/back) all sewn together and gathered to become the skirt. You then make a casing at the waist and insert elastic. I skipped the elastic and used just 2 pieces (one for front and one for back), widened a little and no gathers. I wanted a straight skirt, so it wouldn't have a maternity feel, which I think turned out looking NON-maternity. (I'm just now venturing into the world of tunic length, not sure how to wear them, and found this length and style to be a good start for me.)

Side View shows it does NOT look maternity.



5. I added a narrow tie in the back, replicating a look I'd seen in RTW. I like how this cinches the waist without having to sew a tight waist.

Back view shows tie in back.



6. The pattern recommends wovens, so their way to do the neckline makes sense. But I used a drapy knit so did it differently. The pattern has you use bias tape, stitched in a 3/8 inch seam, then top stitched. Instead, I extended each front piece 1 1/2 inch for a self facing. I serged the edge and just turned it under that 1 1/2 inches. It stays nicely turned under resulting in a softer drapy-er edge with the knit than the harshness of topstitching.

Style advice??? I'm new to tunics, so a bit insecure. I used to think they only looked good on Size Zero models with stick legs. What do you all think? What length should they be? Width? And does this look NON-maternity?

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I like the dolman sleeve and the waistline. And yes, I'd recommend it. (And in soft enough fabrics, the gathers would also work, as other's reviews have shown). I also like the reviews I've seen of the other view (halter top) that I'd like to try.

Conclusions: It's a very flattering, comfortably loose, and super easy pattern I'd highly recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...