Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Style 2858: Red Striped Boat neck top


I LOVE stripes and LOVE the bateau neckline. It was fun to sew up a quick hit. Took no time at all and no fiddly fitting issues. It fit right out of the envelop. Yay!!!

Review of Pattern
Description: Knit Coordinates including crew neck and turtle neck tops, long jacket, pants and slim skirt. I made the crew neck top, but changed the neckline to bateau.






Pattern Sizing: I cut a 14 which matched my measurements and it turned out with plenty of ease to be comfortable, but still shaped at the waist a bit. I like how it fits.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except for the altered neckline.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, except I don't understand WHY they say to use FACINGS on knit garments. How NOT-RTW is that. I made a boat neck, serging the neck edge, pressing under 3/8 inch and stitching it down.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I don't like crew necks, but that was easy to fix. I like the fit of the top, and the other items on the pattern look cute too. One thing about the wide bateau neck is the issue of hiding bra straps. I'm using a teeny safety pin, but I like the recommendation of a reviewer to sew tiny snaps onto narrow ribbon. I'm going to add that to this top next.

Fabric Used: Cotton knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: 1. Changed the neckline 2. Shortened it an inch (that's all the fabric I had)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'd sew the top again, now I know it fits so nicely and I may sew the long straight skirt or pants, or maybe even the long jacket in the future. If you have it in your stash (it's OOP I'm quite sure), I'd recommend it. It's very fast and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...