Thursday, November 11, 2010

McCalls 8777: Green long sleeve Tee v-neck



Another knit top: this one is nice and long, a v-neck...




Review for PatternReview.com

Pattern Sizing: For some reason, I ended up with a small pattern (8-10)... must have gotten it at a thrift store??? I added to the side seams to make it a 14. I shouldn't do this. I don't think I ended up drafting the armhole correctly by winging it. Nipping and tucking fixed it, sort of, but I'd be better off starting with the correct size.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, except once more, this is a t-shirt pattern that used a FACING at the neck edge. Why they do that is beyond me.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I disliked:
1. the facing, so for the v-neck I made used a narrow self-fabric neck band with a method from a Stretch and Sew book.
2. the looseness ... I narrowed it to be more form fitting.

Fabric Used: Cotton knit with 5% lycra.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. Neck binding
2. Narrowed and lengthened a tad. I wanted it to be closer to a tunic-feel.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? No and no. It's OOP, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Would appreciate advice with fit where front bodice meets armhole. Most t-shirts do this pucker-thing on me, even RTW. I'm wondering if I should put in a dart up there to resolve it or would that look hokey?

View showing "pleat-like puckers" where bodice meets sleeve.


The above photo also shows the bodice "pleat" and it shows what I'll call a swayback horizontal pucker on the back. I'm discovering this in EVERY garment I make. I'm not sure how to resolve it in a t-shirt that has no horizontal seam ???? I suppose I could make a horizonal seam just in the back as a "design element"??? If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Back View



Another view


And the necklace.... I saw this necklace at a yard sale and asked how much? The seller said $2 for all of them. I said I only need one. He said "I don't want to break up the set". So I have 12 of them.... and here I just put 2 together, but I plan to break it apart and make a longer string, probably double...




And even Daisy gets a necklace. (Todd saw Daisy's necklace, and said "Maybe Zoey needs a necklace too ... so you betcha, Zoey will be getting one!)

1 comment:

  1. Like, like, like! Great fit and looks super comfy, but still able to be dressed up. I love it with the belt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...