Monday, November 15, 2010

Butterick 3662: Blue Coolmax Wrap top


Another Wrap Top...

Review for patternreview.com

Pattern Description: Cross front top with pencil skirt. Recommended for stretch velvet, panne velvet, matte jersey. I made the top with a slinky cool max knit which wasn't the best choice.



Pattern Sizing: I made the 14 per my full bust measurement, then took in the front and back bodice at shoulder and armhole edge by 3/8 inch.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the cross over top and if I'd used the recommended fabrics, would probably have been delighted. With my stretchy knit, I disliked:

1. The pattern used a front facing with interfacing and understitching ... not a good method for slinky knits.

2. No need for a zipper.

3. The darts, which would be nice with a sturdy fabric look bad with my knit.



The back view which I am NOT proud of. I don't know what's wrong. Too tight? I might try to remove the darts but fear there will be noticeable holes.



Fabric Used: Coolmax knit. Feels wonderful. It's the fabric used for running and aerobic clothes. I happened upon 2 1/2 yards of it a thrift store.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. No zipper.
2. I used a band on the long fronts instead of the facing, a technique I used on this other top: Simplicity 4095 which I LOVE everything about: the detail gathers, the long band front and how it doesn't gape at all, the fit and the drape. If it weren't for the pattern stash contest, I probably would have cut that same pattern again, (and wish I had... in the end, it looks so much nicer than this finished item)

but again.... I can't blame the pattern. My knit is too slinky.

Another thing I liked about Simplicity 4095. It hems the two front pieces separately, leaving the forward front draping over the back front, which looks nicer and hangs nicer than this pattern, which has you hem the two fronts together. With a sturdy fabric, that would work, but with a droopy, drapey fabric, the forward front wanted to droop more than the back front and made an unsightly fold just above the hem. I cut off the first attempt at hemming, tightened up the forward front and re-hemmed.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don't think so. And if you have it in your stash, go for it, but with a sturdy fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...