Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cotton-Lycra top: Simplicity 9508

Finished a Cotton-Lycra top...

from Simplicity 9508

I'm calling it done, but a totally strapless top is not really very practical for me. So I debate adding straps in one of two ways:
Option 1: halter style

Sort of spaghetti strap style (which matched what the pattern had in mind) ... (I only show one of the two straps because that's all the fabric I have left. Either I use it in one wide piece for Option 1, or cut it into two narrow pieces to effect Option 2. Any opinions would be appreciated.


My pattern review for patternreview.com...
It was such a pretty piece of fabric in the too-short skirt I found at a yard sale for 50 cents. I bought it anyway, thinking I could use the fabric somehow. But it has sat in my stash of things to remake someday, and I never could decide what to make with it. The pattern stash contest has been such a butt-kicker and inspiration to "just do it" and find some pattern. The result ... this little bandeau style top...

Pattern Description: Dresses in 3 styles and various lengths. I made a top (shortened version of View C).

Pattern Sizing: Junior Sizing: 3/4 - 15/16. For some reason, I ended up with the sizing that only included 3/4-9/10. My measurements fit closer to the 13/14. Fortunately it's a very simple pattern. I added an inch plus to each side seam, and then only had to make a few adjustments afterwards. (I ignored the elastic guides and just winged it with the elastic at the upper edge).

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except shorter and I simplified the back.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very straight-forward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the simple lines and straight skirt. I didn't want the fussy tie back, so I simply cut mine straight across.

Fabric Used: Cotton-Lycra.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I cut the back straight across.

Looking for opinions::: Debate shoulder strap options OK. It's done. But it's strapless. Which isn't very practical for me. The pattern shows view A with narrow straps... but I'm not sure I like that as well as something else I'm considering.... and I'd love to get some opinions ...

Option 1: Wide halter strap


Option 2: Narrow shoulder strap similar to the pattern View A. (I only show one strap on my dressform, since that's all the fabric I have left ... either I cut it as one wide halter strap for Option 1, or divide it into 2 narrower straps for Option 2.

I'd appreciate any opinions. I like Option 1 because I can fit a halter bra under that wider strap. With the narrow straps, I face the "how to wear a bra" dilemna, and the top is tight ... needs a bra in civilized company.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I won't sew it again. But if you have it in your stash, I'd recommend it.

Conclusion: Cute pattern. Very quick and easy.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty fabric! I think the halter style strap looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halter strap is the best - it just looks right for the fabric somehow!


    http://clothesandsewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...