After: (not done yet: still need to do back cushions and skirt)
The loveseat slipcover is nearly done. (This is only the second slipcover I've made, and I'd appreciate any tips and tricks from you more experienced sewists/upholsterers/slipcoverists). I thought I'd review the pattern Butterick 5293 to share how this pattern helped me in the process.
I actually learned from THREE sources (#2 being the MOST MOST valuable): 1. The instuctions in this pattern, 2. An excellent video by a pro in Seattle (forgot her name, I'll find it if anyone is interested). 3. a helpful youtube set of 25 videos (I'll look for that and post that too).
Here's the pattern that I roughly followed...
As you can see, my loveseat is shaped a little different than the pattern, but that's OK. Mainly what I got from the pattern was instructions on the "process" of how to go about making a slipcover for furniture, including:
1. how to measure the pieces
2. how to estimate fabric requirements
3. how to make piping on the bias (altho I learned that I could get by just fine with piping on the straight grain which saved a lot of fabric and effort ... shown here
4. tips on how to tackle the project. (I've blogged some of the steps along the way in past posts, and I've provided backlinks to below).
5. helpful tip on how to make the lined and piped skirt with "faux" pleats so they're less bulky.
Post 1: Here's a retrospective photo-story of the transformation of a yardsale found chaise with a slipcover I made a few years ago..., showing the steps along the way.
Post 2: Here are photos of inspirations and First steps...
Post 3: Sewing the boxed, piped cushions and lessons learned.
Post 4: Style Decisions,
Post 5: Fitting the front of the arm: Moving to the body of the couch: Begin by fitting and sewing the rolled arm front, the most important visual element to get right.
Post 6: Step by step .sewing the body
...the slipcover so far...
This being only my second slipcover, I'd love to hear tips and tricks from any of you who are more experienced...